UPMC Jameson is constantly evolving, and one of the changing, largest segments of our system is Volunteer Services. Patient-centered care is our focus. New Volunteer roles are being designed to enhance the services that we deliver. Our Volunteers are extension of our caregiving teams, and exhibit our CARE values with each action. Compassion, positive Attitude, Respect and Excellence are lived, and are deeply fulfilled for the value that they give back to our community. Make a difference today, become a Volunteer at UPMC Jameson.
Divisions of the health system that are actively seeking volunteers who CARE include:
- Family Room in the Same Day Surgery Suite – Volunteers serve as a communication liaison between surgical staff/surgeon and the patient’s family. The hours for this service are from 8:00 a.m. through 12:30 p.m. and 12:30 p.m. through 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Foundation Development – Event planning, promoting and organizing fundraising and donations for the foundation.
- Hospice – Bereavement counseling, sewing Hospice Bears with clothes of deceased, fundraising (Jameson Friends of Hospice), respite care, companionship, therapy dog handling.
- Information Desk – Greeting patients and visitors, coordinating information and transportation, assisting the clergy. The hours for this service are 9:00 a.m. through 1:00 p.m.; 1:00 p.m. through 5:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. through 5:00 p.m. through 8:30 p.m. We are attempting to cover this desk seven days a week.
- Book it Forward – assist in coordination and growth of the Book it Forward program that provides gently used books of all categories to patients of Jameson Hospital
- Jameson Aide Society – Sewing linens for the OR, Central Services and Nutritional Services. The Aide Society meets regularly every Wednesday mornings, September through March from 9:00 a.m. through 11:30 a.m. in our School of Nursing Auditorium.
- Jameson Concierge Program – This program was initiated to enhance the patient and guest experience. As patients or guests enter the hospital, we are currently recruiting volunteers to greet them at the door. Rather than provide directions to reach their desired location, we have volunteers escort them, or assist them by placing them in a wheelchair and escorting them throughout the facility. We are attempting to recruit volunteers to cover this program currently Monday through Friday beginning at 8:00 a.m.
- Emergency Department Concierge – address emotional needs and concerns keeping lines of communication open between the ER waiting room and staff.
- Mail Room – Sorting mail, delivering mail to patients, directing mail to discharged patients at UPMC Jameson.
- Musical – Playing the piano or other instruments at our facilities and religious service performances. We currently have a piano in the hospital lobby. Patients and visitors alike find the music very calming and relaxing.
- Patient Escort and Lobby Concierge – Escorting patients in wheelchairs from their rooms to various locations throughout the hospital for testing.
- Jameson Care Center – Volunteers assist the staff with activities for the residents such as reading to the residents, as well as assisting staff when taking residents on outings in the county.
- UPMC Jameson – Many opportunities are available for volunteers at UPMC Jameson which include Mail Room, Family Room and Information Desk activities. The schedule for the UPMC Jameson would be Monday through Friday, times vary depending on volunteer location.
- Jameson Rehabilitation Center – Clerical volunteers are needed to sign in patients, answer phones, etc. Volunteers would be welcomed any day, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. through 12:00 Noon.
We will help find you to navigate the best service area for you to embrace your gifts and talents to help others. Training will be available for all volunteer services except musical. Please note that the day or day(s) you decide to volunteer are of your choice. You could volunteer every day if you like, or as little as one day per month!
Become a Volunteer
Cyndee Adamo, Volunteer Coordinator
Health System Volunteers and Jameson Junior Guild
Learn About our Jameson Junior Guild
The Jameson Junior Guild was founded in 1935. To date, the Jameson Junior Guild currently has 83 Active Members and 78 Associate members.
Application forms for membership are available through any active Guild member. We only accept membership applications September and October and January through April. You must be sponsored by two (2) active members of the Guild, and presented to the Executive Board. New members will be formally admitted either in December or May. A new member is required to attend an orientation class accompanied by at least one sponsors. Membership dues are payable June 1 and may be paid at the Spring or Fall Luncheon.
To be an active member of the Jameson Junior Guild you must work a minimum of 100 hours per year in any of the following Guild services:
- Boutique – which meets each Thursday, January through October
- Hostess Shop Aide
- Hostess Shop Cashier
- Hostess Shop Counter Worker
- Jameson Care Center Gift Shop
- Patient Relations – Pre-admission Testing area
- UPMC Jameson Gift Shop
Active Junior Guild members pay a yearly dues for $5.00 and Associate Guild membership is $20.00. You must be an active member for a minimum of one year prior to becoming an associate member. Associate members cannot hold an office, however, they can participate in all Guild functions.
The slate of Junior Guild Officers for the 2012-2013 year:
Mary Ann Elsesser
Boutique; Calling; Community Health and Wellness; Hostess Shop; Hours; Membership; Orientation; Patient Relations: Publicity; Remembrance Fund; Social and Program and Ways and Means.