At UPMC Jameson, patient-centered care is our focus. Our volunteers help us with that focus and enhance the services we deliver.
Volunteers become part of the UPMC team to support our mission of offering:
- Quality patient care.
- Outstanding education of our future doctors, surgeons, and health care staff.
- Cutting-edge treatments through our biomedical research.
UPMC Jameson departments actively seeking volunteers include:
- Family Room in the Same Day Surgery Suite— volunteers serve as a communication liaison between surgical staff/surgeon and the patient’s family. The hours for this service are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. through 12:30 p.m. and 12:30 p.m. through 2:30 p.m.
- Foundation Development— event planning, promoting and organizing fundraising and donations for the foundation.
- Hospice — bereavement counseling, sewing Hospice Bears with clothes of deceased, fundraising (Jameson Friends of Hospice), respite care, companionship, therapy dog handling.
- Information Desk — greeting patients and visitors, coordinating information and transportation, assisting the clergy. The hours for this service are 9 a.m. through 1 p.m., 1 p.m. through 5 p.m., and 5 p.m. through 8:30 p.m.
- Jameson Aide Society— sewing linens for the OR, Central Services and Nutritional Services. The Aide Society meets regularly every Wednesday mornings, September through March from 9 a.m. through 11:30 a.m. in our School of Nursing Auditorium.
- Jameson Concierge Program — this program was initiated to enhance the patient and guest experience. As patients or guests enter the hospital, volunteers greet them at the door to escort them to their destination, or assist them by placing them in a wheelchair and escorting them throughout the facility. Hours are Monday through Friday beginning at 8 a.m.
- Emergency Department Concierge —address emotional needs and concerns by keeping lines of communication open between the ED waiting room and staff.
- Mail Room — sorting mail, delivering mail to patients, and directing mail to discharged patients.
- Musical — playing the piano in the lobby or other instruments at our facilities and religious service performances.
- Jameson Care Center — volunteers assist the staff with activities for the residents such as reading to the residents, as well as assisting staff when taking residents on outings in the county.
- UPMC Jameson Rehabilitation Center — clerical volunteers sign in patients, answer phones, etc. Hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to noon.
Our staff will help you navigate the best service area to embrace your gifts, talents and desire to help others. Training is available for all volunteer services (except for musicians). Please note that the day or day(s) you decide to volunteer are of your choice.
Jameson Junior Guild
The Jameson Junior Guild was founded in 1935. Application forms for membership are available through any active guild member. Applications are accepted in September and October and January through April. Applicants must be sponsored by two active guild members and presented to the executive board. New members will be formally admitted either in December or May. A new member is required to attend an orientation class accompanied by at least one sponsor. Membership dues are payable June 1 and may be paid at the spring or fall luncheon.
To be an active member of the Jameson Junior Guild you must work a minimum of 100 hours per year in any of the following guild services:
- Boutique (meets every Thursday from January through October)
- Hostess Shop Aide
- Hostess Shop Cashier
- Hostess Shop Counter Worker
- Jameson Care Center Gift Shop
- Patient Relations – pre-admission Testing area
Active Junior Guild members pay $5 for yearly dues. Associate guild membership is $20. You must be an active member for a minimum of one year prior to becoming an associate member. Associate members cannot hold an office, however, they can participate in all guild functions.
Cyndee Adamo, Volunteer Coordinator
UPMC Jameson Volunteer Services and Jameson Junior Guild